Despite the fact that it’s a proven pathway to parenthood, Vitro Fertilization (IVF) is considered by many to be a last resort in their attempts to have a baby.
For every couple that want to become parents there’s nothing more disappointing than trying and failing at every method to conceive naturally
For couples who are trying very hard to make their dreams of starting a family come true , IVF can be a scary world.
At Footsteps To Fertility Centre located in Nairobi, Kenya, we are committed to bringing the best of tomorrow’s IVF treatment, today.
Who are Good Candidates for IVF?
IVF is an extremely effective treatment for couples whose infertility issues stem from:
Ovulation or Egg Quality.
Blocked Fallopian Tubes.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss.
Male Factor Infertility.
When Is IVF Recommended
At Footsteps To Fertility Centre, our specialists are committed to providing patients with every available treatment option and level of care in a considerate, compassionate and cost-effective manner. We work in partnership with our patients throughout their journey in bringing their dreams to life.
The following are incidences when IVF is recommended ;
When one fails to get pregnant, even after trying all other infertility treatments.
If either male or female is at risk of passing on a serious genetic disorder to their children, IVF will help them to accept healthy eggs or sperm from a donor and bypass that risk.
Women who are having issues with Fallopian tubes (like blocked or absent Fallopian tubes) .
Women experiencing fertility disorders like endometriosis and polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) .
Women that do not produce healthy eggs can use IVF if they want to use donor eggs.
If your partner has a male factor infertility.
Cancer patients, before undergoing radiation and chemo, which will affect their fertility, will give their healthy eggs and sperms to be frozen and stored in the respective banks, and will later use it in IVF after the cancer treatment.
If their partner underwent a sterilization procedure and wishes to have another child.
What Are The Advantages of IVF?
IVF can be the most successful option for many couples who battle infertility, or for whom traditional conception and pregnancy aren’t an option.The following are advantages of IVF
- IVF helps many patients who would be otherwise unable to conceive a baby. The advantage of IVF is achieving a successful pregnancy and a healthy baby.
- Blocked tubes: For women with blocked or damaged Fallopian tubes, IVF provides the best opportunity of having a child using their own eggs.
- Older patients/ patients with a low ovarian reserve: IVF can be used to maximize the chance of older patients conceiving a baby.
- Male infertility: Couples with a male infertility problem will have a much higher chance of conceiving with IVF than conceiving naturally.
- Unexplained infertility: 1 in 7 couples will suffer fertility problems and sometimes these remain not diagnosed. After diagnosis these patients benefit from different treatment methods, specifically adapted.
- IVF can help to diagnose fertilization problems. In some cases of unexplained infertility, there could be a problem with fertilization.
- Premature ovarian failure: Women with premature ovarian failure or menopause can have IVF treatment using donor eggs, which typically has high success rates.
- IVF can be more successful than IUI and other forms of assisted reproductive technology. IVF success rates have been increasing since its conception, thanks to technological advances.
- It can help single women and same-sex couples. For single women or same-sex couples who wish to have a child, IVF can provide a great opportunity for helping them to become parents if IUI has not been successful. IVF with donor sperm can help potential patients achieve this goal.
- It has been used for a long time and has a safe track record. The technology has advanced, and techniques refined in order to create safer and successful treatment.
- Endometriosis: Patients with endometriosis, where parts of the womb lining grow outside the womb, may like to try IVF, as it has proved successful in this group.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome is a common condition in which there is a hormone imbalance leading to irregular menstrual cycles. IVF has proved very successful in patients with PCOS.
What Are The Disadvantages Of IVF?
In Vitro-fertilization ,the procedure is complicated, with many fertility drugs involved in different stages as well, which costs a lot in the normal course of medicines involved.
The medication starts with birth control pills to rectify the cycle and to control the development of follicles.
Daily administration of gonadotropins drugs to control the growth of eggs.
Medication to avoid early follicle ovulation, as the early formation of the follicle, could jeopardize the entire procedure.
Injections with human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) should be given at the exact time for releasing the egg at its best time.
After harvesting the eggs, two types of medications are usually prescribed. An antibiotic for fighting the threat of infection and a steroid to bring down the swelling.
After moving the egg into the uterus, progesterone is administered either via injection or via suppositories, to support the egg for a couple of weeks.
A full course of IVF typically takes 4 to 8 weeks. During this period, monitoring the reaction of the mother’s body to fertility drugs is very important, which includes repeated visits to the clinic for more blood tests and ultrasounds. If any of the steps of the whole procedure fails, the cycle has to stop and restart all over again from the first step.
Increased chances of failure:
Around 20% of IVF cycles are canceled and has to repeat due to the development of insufficient follicles, frittering away the money and time again and again.
During this procedure, to increase the rate of success, the specialist usually places one to five embryos in the uterus. If more than one of this embryo managed to implant in the uterine wall, the mother will have multiple pregnancies. And it is found that around 25% of IVF pregnancy turns out to be multiple pregnancies
IVF treatment can take an emotional/psychological toll.
Going through IVF treatment can be a highly emotive and stressful experience. For patients undergoing treatment, it can be physically and emotionally demanding. For partners it can be difficult to watch a loved-one go through a stressful experience.
Who Should Start The IVF Process Early?
Everyone’s situation is unique, only you and your fertility doctor can pinpoint the right time for you to start. Prior to making that decision you’ll have a comprehensive consultation and undergo testing to get a good sense of what’s causing your fertility issues, and to determine if IVF is the best course of treatment for you.
We recommend you visit our Fertility Specialist Dr. Wanjiru Ndegwa – Njuguna if you’re younger than 35 years old and you have been trying to get pregnant naturally for 6 months, or over 35 and have tried for a year.
Much like natural conception, the success of IVF declines as a woman ages. Success rates begin to drop as a woman approaches 30 years of age with a more rapid decline beginning in the early 30s, and an even greater decline as a woman reaches her late 30s.
Passionate About Helping Families
If you’re experiencing fertility issues and are over 35 years old, early IVF may be the right option for you. No matter your age, due to its overall high rate of success, our specialist at Footsteps To Fertility Centre in Kenya will advise you to explore IVF as a possible early treatment option. IVF shouldn’t be treated as a last resort to build your family.
We come across many couples who have numerous questions in their minds. We understand their concerns and answer their questions in a professional manner.
At Footsteps To Fertility Centre in Kenya, it will be our privilege to become part of your parenthood journey and we thrive to give you the best fertility treatment specially designed for you to have a healthy baby.
Reserve your Appointment
Should you wish to book your appointment online, Our Doctors Calendar is available to you, Simply head over to Reserve your Appointment and view the doctors available times where we can be able to help you